My Trip

More
12 Aug 2010 03:53 - 12 Aug 2010 03:55 #104528 by Yamene
Yamene created the topic: My Trip
I started out from Louisa Virginia in the early morning of July 25 and headed generally south and west. I did not look at any map sites or even input a destination into my GPS. I-64 west to I-81 south and just drove. Out of Virginia ... into Tennessee ... into Georgia ... and picked up I-20 in Alabama.

I stayed on 20 thru Bama ... and Mississippi .. and Louisiana ... and Texas. I stopped at the first rest stop in Texas that first night out. I followed 20 all the way to Pecos where I bought an atlas (lol) and looked to see where I wanted to go. I-285 north took me into New Mexico to Carlsbad where i spent the second night in a hugely overpriced hotel. I toured thru the Carlsbad Caverns that morning, then I-285 north to Roswell NM. The "alien museum" there is definitely worth missing.

Onward to Albuquerque NM where I spent the third night out. I visited the National Nuclear Science and History museum there (well worth it imo). From there I headed up to I-40 and caught Painted Desert and Petrified Forest National Parks. The drive thru these parks is amazingly beautiful.

I drove to Williams Az from there and stayed the night. I  took the Grand Canyon Railway tour the next day (worth it imo). I ate dinner at Doc Hollidays in the Holiday Inn ... awesome steak. The next morning I got up early and drove out to Monument National  Park (where most of the famous westerns starring John Wayne were shot). That place is beyond words beautiful... and I nearly got my truck stuck. I drove back and spent the night in Williams again.

The next day I headed out for Page Az then out to Zion National Park... what I saw of Zion was awesome .... but the whole parks road system was under construction .. so what I saw wasn't much. I then spent the night in St.George  Ut. (did laundry). Then headed out toward Vegas the long way around Lake Meade.

I actually got to Vegas a day early and crashed at the Hooters hotel. Turns out it is much nicer than Bally's all the way around ... the hotel interior doesn't look 100 years old .. and the rooms aren't falling apart (and its ALOT cheaper).

I took lots of pix ... will try to post some when i figure out how

* all told I put 5975 miles on my poor truck
Last Edit: 12 Aug 2010 03:55 by Yamene.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rosalee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Aug 2010 23:50 #104539 by Rosalee
Rosalee replied the topic: Re: My Trip
i miss u SP :(

More
14 Aug 2010 13:07 #104564 by Yamene
Yamene replied the topic: Re: My Trip
easy fix fer that Rosa

• Rosalee
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Aug 2010 22:31 #104586 by Rosalee
Rosalee replied the topic: Re: My Trip
i already tried that :\

Time to create page: 0.257 seconds